News and statistics

The European Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) is a central information platform for the national authorities of all EU Member States on important and currently occurring risks in the food and feed sector.

Registration and authorisation of feedingstuffs

Every company that markets, trades, manufactures, stores or transports animal feed must in principle be registered with BAES as a animal feed operator. The exact requirements can be found in § 8 of the National Feed Ordinance 2010, BGBl., Part II, No. 316/2010. If you have any further questions, please contact

The relevant documents and contact information can be found on the Feed Approval and Registration page.

A company that trades in certain additives (trace elements, vitamins,...) or produces compound feed with certain additives (coccidiostats) must be approved by BAES as a feed business operator. The exact requirements for approval can be found in § 7 of the national feed regulation 2010, BGBl., Part II, No. 316/2010.

The relevant documents and contact information can be found on the Feed Approval and Registration page.

Feed business operators who are neither subject to approval nor registration must submit a notification to the Federal Office for Food Safety. The corresponding documents and contact information can be found at

The costs for an approval on site and the annual registration fees can be found in the official feed fee tariff at

No, I'm not. According to § 8 (7) of the National Feed Ordinance 2010, the supply of pre-packed petfood without registration is permitted, but a notification to the BAES is required.

In the case of an authorised additive, it may be marketed subject to the following requirements: Labelling according to Article 16 of Regulation (EC) 1831/2003 the distributor must at least be registered according to Regulation (EC) 183/2005. The basis for the calculation of the annual fee is the form "Datenerfassung" (data entry form), which must be completed. The traded product must be labelled in accordance with the approval - information on this can be found at:

Within the EU, labels must be marked in German in the respective (official) language of the country of destination, i.e. for Austria. Cans with English labels are therefore not marketable in Austria. Furthermore, it must be checked whether the composition complies with the requirements of EU feed law. They must also register with us as third country representatives and are liable for compliance with EU feed legislation standards. A fee is payable annually for third country representatives. The corresponding tariff and further information regarding the official feed fee tariff can be found at:

For this project a notification according to § 14 Feedstuffs Act 1999 as amended would be necessary or even a registration. This depends on the scope of the planned activity: On a small scale and for sales at regional level, direct distribution and therefore a derogation under Regulation (EC)183/2005 (Feed Hygiene Regulation) is to be adopted. In any case, registration is required for online sales. Furthermore, what the recipe of your products looks like is decisive: When using meat or other animal tissues, there are requirements according to Regulation (EC) 1069/2009 or Regulation (EU) 142/2011 on animal by-products with special hygiene requirements regarding Salmonella and Enterobacteriaceae. As a notified or registered company, you must also expect a feed inspection at all times by the inspection bodies of the Federal Office for Food Safety (BAES).

Please contact us by e-mail at or by phone at +43(0)5 0555 33216.

Kontrolle der Nutz- und Heimtierfuttermittel

to top